20 Jan Summer Blueberry and Spinach Salad with Toasted Almonds
Deliciously fresh and crisp summer salad for a light lunch or a quick and easy side dish.
Most days it’s honestly too hot to cook or eat anything that isn’t a smoothie or fresh salad. And we can all use a little salad inspiration to keep it fresh and fun. So let’s get tossing those salads.
I love using seasonal ingredients and incorporating as much variety as possible. When making a salad the right way, there is a fine line of having to pour on heaps of salad dressing and being able to enjoy it as is. Lightly steaming the broccoli so it gives the appropriate amount of crunch to the salad, toasting the almonds to increase their nutty flavour and a squeeze of lemon zest to bring out all the flavours together.
This salad would pair perfectly with a glass of cold homemade cold-brewed peach ice tea or immune-boosting cinnamon citrus juice. And if you are looking for some inspiration for an appetizer have a look at these sweet potato canapes and for dessert vegan passionfruit carrot cake, vegan matcha and white chocolate popsicles or a dairy-free spiced rooibos cake.
This summer salad is;
- and light.
If you loved making this recipe be sure to let me know by rating and commenting below.
Summer Blueberry and Spinach Salad
- 2 cups baby spinach rinsed
- 1 cup blueberries rinsed
- 1/2 head broccoli or few stems broccolini lightly steamed
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas rinsed and dried
- 1 handful wild rocket leaves rinsed
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup raw almond flakes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 peaches, skinned and sliced optional
- Lightly steam or boil the broccoli for 5-6 minutes until a deep green but still crunchy ( it is always better to steam broccoli because it loses most of its Vitamin C when boiled). Set aside to cool down.
- Toss the rinsed spinach, blueberries, rocket, chickpeas, and diced avocado together.
- Lightly toast the almond flakes in a pan over a medium heat until sightly brown and fragrant.
- Add the cooled broccoli and toasted almonds to the salad and drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Give it a final toss.
- Serve with tahini or more olive oil and lemon juice.