06 May Oil-free , Tumeric Spiced Granola
Golden tumeric spiced granola without any oil and a little boost of collagen.
Jump to Recipe
First things first, aquafaba is just chickpea brine. Cool. So now that we’re all on the same page. This recipe is just another way you can utilize the brine instead of pouring it down the drain next time you use a can of chickpeas.
I’m sure by now you’ve made your very own homemade granola , if that’s not the case then welcome to a whole new world ( don’t lie you totally just sang that phrase ). Once you start to experiment with different homemade granola varieties and having dried fruit or nuts you actually like in it, there is no going back to store-bought granola.
Not only can you choose the ingredient combos you like but you also have control over how much sugar, oil , calories etc. goes into it. This oil-free version is only one of many versions that I regularly make and was inspired by Minimalist Baker’s Aquafaba granola.
So since it’s your granola you can use what you have in your pantry at home to make your own flavour combo.
Chickpea brine. When whisked it takes on a meringue form and kind of mocks egg whites which you can then use to coat the granola to get that nice crunch without using oil.
If you are gluten intolerant be sure to use certified gluten-free oats. Otherwise normal old-fashioned oats aka rolled oats will work just fine.
Nuts and/or seeds
In this batch of granola I used silvered almonds but other options include walnuts; which are rich in Omega-3’s, cashews, macadamia nuts etc. Or if you want to keep the costs low , go with seeds like sunflower- , pumpkin- or sesame- or chia seeds; also high in Omega 3’s.
I love using local honey but real maple syrup is also nice. The extra bonus to using these sweeteners is that both adds more flavour unlike regular sugar that just sweetens.
Coconut and dried fruit
Coconut flakes or desiccated coconut and dried fruit can add a little more sweetness to the granola. Dried fruit also adds a nice chewy element . This recipe calls for dried figs but go ahead and substitute it for dried apricots, raisins, cranberries, pineapple, peaches, apple, banana etc.
Salt and spice
Let the flavours sing with the addition of salt. So don’t skip the salt. I used warmer spices like cloves, ginger and cinnamon with the tumeric. If you’re not into tumeric omit it entirely , but if you do however use it make sure to add a pinch of black pepper as it helps our bodies absorb the curcumin in tumeric. Curcumin is a compound found in tumeric root that has all the beneficial and claimed medicinal properties.
I added chai collagen for a boost in protein and glow properties . Apart from helping build a strong immunity, nails, hair and skin this blend also contains antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. This helps fight off common colds, bacteria and fungus, as well as supporting your digestive system and reducing blood sugar levels.
What can you expect from this granola ?
- Warm spices
Best enjoyed sprinkled over everything from smoothie bowls to creating a crumble muffin top , with a little coconut yoghurt
or even just with some plant milk.
Oil-free Tumeric Spiced Collagen Granola
- 3 cups rolled oats gluten-free
- 3 tbsps collagen powder optional, I used chai collagen
- 1/4 cup dried figs, chopped or apricots or raisins
- 1/3 cup raw nuts, chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp ground tumeric
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar granule sweetner of choice
- 1/3 cup aquafaba
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup honey or liquid sweetner of choice
- Preheat the oven to 180 ℃ and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk the aquafaba until soft peaks form. For about 5 minutes.
- Fold in vanilla essence into the aquafaba and then add to the dry ingredients with the honey and combine until everything is coated.
- Spread out the granola on the baking tray and bake for 15- 20 minutes or until golden brown. Take out of the oven and quickly flip the granola using a fork and then bake for another 5 minutes.
- Once cooled down completely transfer into a container with a lit.