10 Feb Hazelnut & Cacoa Crunch Date Balls
Easy and delicious snack with a hazelnut and crunch surprise on the inside.
Who needs a boyfriend when you can have a snack like this! Quick and easy Hazelnut centered cocoa date balls ready to serve as a healthy snack or lunchbox treat.
Using only 10 wholesome ingredients to make these quick and easy date balls you’ll have snacks for the whole week prepared in no time. These date balls are gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free.
I know I know, date balls aka energy bites are so last decade but honestly, I can’t get over them. Such a convenient way to get a healthy dose of healthy fats and protein in with one bite ( maybe two).
So if date balls are so out of fashion, I thought we might as well add a little something new to it, or should I say a little more crunch. Adding puffed brown rice ( gluten-free certified if you’re gf) made all the difference! Almost like a date ball and rice crispy treat rolled into one heavenly bite.
If you loved making this recipe be sure to let me know by rating and commenting below.
Hazelnut & Cacoa Crunch Date Balls
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts lightly roasted
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 200 g Medjool dates pitted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp maca root powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup brown puffed rice or regular rice crispies
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts chopped finely
- or cacao powder
- or hemp seeds
- Pulse the lightly roasted hazelnuts in a blender or food processor so that it is roughly chopped.
- Add the pitted Medjool dates, almond butter, salt, and honey. Blend until thick paste forms.
- Add in the cacao powder, maca powder, chia seeds, and hemp seeds and mix again until combined.
- Scoop the sticky and thick paste out into a bowl and add the puffed brown rice in by hand.
- Measure out 25g (little more than 1 tablespoon) of paste for each ball. Roll each ball in between the palms of your hands. Then make a small hole in the center of each ball using your finger and insert a whole hazelnut into each ball. Pinch the opening closed and roll into a neat ball.
- Then roll each ball in chopped hazelnuts, cacao powder or hemp seeds.
- Store the date balls in the fridge to keep them firm and crunchy on the inside.