26 Jul Creamy Mushroom Soup
Nothing can warm up the belly quite as well as soup can. I also tend to be a little lazier during the winter months when it comes to making dinner and so soup is definitely a go-to for me. With minimum dishes and ingredients this creamy mushroom soup is a winter dinner winner .
The creaminess of the soup comes from the coconut milk and flour, while the lentils add extra fiber and thickness. You can use gluten-free/regular all-purpose flour, brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, tapioca starch or corn starch.
Once known as taboo of the psychedelic hippies, medicinal mushrooms are now a days main stream in the wellness and health industry.
There are more than fourteen thousand varieties, of which only about three thousand are edible.
Known as the queen of the mushroom world, reishi mushrooms soothe and calm the nervous system. They contain immune-modulating compounds called beta-glucans that help boost the immune system or dial it down as needed.
Shiitake mushrooms invigorate the immune system with their active compound called lentinan. One of lentinan’s benefits is the ability to power-up the immune system, strengthening its ability to fight infection and disease. Research also points to potential benefits of lentinans to help with cavities and oral health.
This mushroom soup is :
- quick and easy,
Dairy-free Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 250 g white button mushrooms
- 50 g Shiitake mushrooms optional ( sub more brown or white button mushrooms)
- 1 tsp reishi mushroom powder optional
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3-5 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp coriander
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup brown lentils can or cooked
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 sachet vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk lite or full cream
- 2 tbsp The Plantbase Range original mix or any flour
- 1 tbsp walnuts or pecans toasted
- 2 tbsps sunflower seeds toasted
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 mushroom sliced
- drizzle of coconut milk
- 1-2 spigs fresh thyme
- In a medium pot sautee the onions in olive oil until it starts to turn translucent. Then add in the minced garlic and chopped mushroom and sautee until mushrooms are golden.
Mix the vegetable broth into boiling water and add into the pot along with the coconut milk .
- Add in lentils, thyme, salt, black pepper, coriander and reishi powder before closing the lid of the pot and turning the heat down to a simmer. Give a quick stir from time to time.
- After about 15 minutes add in the flour and give it a good stir to ensure there is no clumps.
- Blend the mushroom soup with a hand blender or transfer to a standing blender and process until smooth.
- Tranfer to a bowl , add a dizzle of coconut milk andthe rest of the toppings.
- In a non-stick frying pan toast the walnut pieces and sunflower seeds until golden brown and fragrant. In a small bowl crush the toasted walnuts and sunflower seeds and mix in the nutritional yeast and coriander.
- Slice the mushroom into medium-thin slices and sautee until golden brown.