13 May Adaptogenic Immune-Boosting Soup
The ultimate comfort food perfect for those cold winter nights when you want a warm nourishing bowl of soup.
I always like to find new ways to incorporate adaptogens into my daily routine. My two favourite adaptogens that almost take everyday is ashwagandha and maca.
If you don’t know this already, adaptogens are natural substances (found in some mushrooms and other plants) that fight the stress on your mind and body, working to return your systems back to ‘normal’. They’re stress response modifiers on both ends of the spectrum depending on what you take, to dial down your anxious feelings ( ashwagandha) or boost your energy ( maca) . They’ve also been found to help boost your immune system and even improve focus. Usually I get my daily dose of ashwagandha in by adding it to a smoothie or hot beverage. This time I added it into my soup to prepare for this winter .
Packed with nourishing warming ingredients like turmeric, ginger, sundried tomatoes and the additional goodness of adaptogens.
I added coconut milk and cauliflower for that extra thick and creamy consistency . I also kept it simple with the spices with just cumin, salt and pepper but if you like you soup a little warmer add in a little chilli flakes or cayenne pepper.
This soup is :
Best served with a drizzle of coconut milk, spiraled zucchini, black sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, sundried tomatoes, micro greens, coriander , maldon salt, black pepper and a little squeeze of lemon/lime.
Adaptogenic Immune-Boosting Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 celery stalks with leaves chopped
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- ½ head of cauliflower
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes
- 10 rosa tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth 1 sachet with 3 cups of water
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp ashwagandha
- Black pepper and sea salt to taste
- ½ spiralised zucchini
- Sundried tomatoes
- Coriander leaves
- Micro greens
- Sunflower seeds
- Black sesame seeds
- Slices of lime
- In a large pot over a medium-high heat, melt the coconut oil and sauté the onion. Just before translucent add the garlic, ginger, cumin, lemon juice, turmeric, salt, pepper, celery, carrots and charred red bell pepper ( allow the red pepper skin to get slightly charred). Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Then add in chopped cauliflower head and tomatoes and let it soften a little before adding the broth and turning the heat down to a simmer. Add a little water if necessary to prevent it from burning on.
- Before putting the lid on add the sundried tomatoes, ashwagandha and give it a good stir. Put the lid on and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes until everything is soft.
- Pour the soup into the blender*/food processor and process until everything is smooth .
- Transfer to a bowl and add toppings of choice.
Share it !
If you enjoyed making this recipe let me know by rating this recipe and commenting below or tag me on instagram @thegoodroots #thegoodrooots , because I love hearing from you !